Philharmonic Classical & Contemporary Strings
Up to four of Melbourne's leading string players make up the Philharmonic Beats.
Classical string performances: duo,trio and quartet.
Their new show combines classical with jazz and electronica to create a unique and vibrant sound.
Solo - performer ( violin or cello)
Duo - violin and cello
Trio - 2 Violins & 1 Cello
Quartet: 2 Violinist's, Cello & Viola
Electric, Vibrant Classical Violin Quartet
The Philharmonic Beats Quartet have now "plugged in" and present an electric show, for an amazing 15 mins (or as required ).
And always performing a medley all THE classics!
Philharmonic Beats have performed at major events throughout Australia, including the wedding of:
- Natalie Imbruglia and Daniel Johns
- Tara Moss' reception ceremony
- Circus Under the Big Top
- Red Ball
They have accompanied artists such as:
- Hugh Jackman
- Matt Heatherington and Siara
- & many Studio and Television appearances.
Recordings include One Perfect Day, Yellow Brick Dreams, Velure, Rae Howell and True Live to name a few.
In 2005 PBQ are touring to Madras, India for a four week tour through Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Goa performing to Live Samples and Beats.
- Alies Sluiter - Violin, graduated from the Victorian College of the Arts in 2003 majoring in Improvisation.
Alies has worked in a wide range of genres including jazz, classical, Indian, and pop/rock. She has performed with artists including David Helfgott, Nitin Sawhney and Allan Zavod to name a few.
She was also the violin soloist for the critically acclaimed production of 'My Life My Love' which was performed at the 2002 Adelaide Festival and recently performed in the 2004 Melbourne International Arts festivals production of Aftershock. In 2003 Alies composed the score to the award winning film Yellow Brick Dreams and was invited to Barcelona, Spain for the BASE film festival. Her compositions have been performed throughout Australia and Internationally.
- Tamil Rogeon - Violin, is a member of the Melbourne based Hip Hop chamber ensemble True Live.
In 2000 he toured to Seoul, South Korea with the Blue Grassy Knoll and upon their return was invited to perform at the Sydney Opera House and the Woodford Folk Festival. During 1999 Tamil spent 6 months in New York studying and performing with some of the countries finest jazz violinists including John Blake and Mark Feldman.
Tamil has also composed for various dance shows and films including The Futurist and Dance Card. Film Credits include Opposite of Velocity (2004), Astray (2003) and The Mercahnt of Fairness (2001). Tamil is currently working on the release of his debut album, which is funded by Arts Victoria.
- Louise Woodward - violinist/viola and piano
Louise has played with leading Australian bands including Motor Ace and The Anyones and has performed on TV shows including Rove, Bert Newton and Denise Drysdale.
She also performed as a violist in the AFI nominated film One Perfect Day. She has composed advertising jingles for company's such as Bilia Volvo and Lexus and toured throughout Italy and Spain as a section leader with orchestras. She is currently working within the Management of Orchestra Victoria.
- Tim Blake - Cello, founded the Little Yarra Ensemble which has toured extensively throughout Australia and New Zealand.
Tim performs in many musical styles including traditional and contemporary folk, classical, pop/rock, jazz and hip-hop.
He has made many recordings, the most recent being on the Illawarra suite, a tribute to Don Harper which was funded by the Victorian Arts Council. He performs regularly with the Melbourne based group True Live and was recently involved in Aftershock a Melbourne International Arts Festival concert with Nitin Sawhney.
Please note that this is only a small selection of our repertoire. We can also arrange a specific piece of your choice.
- Trumpet Tune Purcell
- Trumpet Voluntary Clarke
- Wedding March Wagner
- Wedding March Mendelssohn
- Queen of Sheba Handel
- Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring Bach
- Canon Pachalbel
- Water Music Handel
- inc. Hornpipe and Corro Air (Air on a G String) Bach
- Fireworks Suite Handel inc. The Rejoicing
- Theme from Pearl Fishers Bizet
- Flower Duet from Lakme
- Eine Kleine Nacht Musik Mozart
- Brandenburg Concertos Bach No 3 I & II, No 4, No2
- Alla Rustica Vivaldi
- Quartet in D Wesley
- Quartet in B flat Wesley
- Minuet Boccherini
- Largo Handel
- Concerto in D Minor Vivaldi
- Serenade Haydn
- Concerto in A Minor Vivaldi
- Presto and Minuet Mozart
- Christmas Concerto Correlli
- Four Seasons Vivaldi
- Spring I & III Summer I Autumn I & II Winter - Largo
Divertimenti I, II & III Mozart
- Overture to Magic Flute Mozart
- Moment Musicale Schubert
- Blue Danube Strauss
All Jazz Standards from The Real Book of Jazz plus:
- Upstairs Downstairs Farris
- Lara's Theme from Dr Zhivago
- Blue Room Arr Gracie
- Three Coins in a Fountain Styne
- Summertime Gershwin
- Wish Me Luck
- Auld Lang Syne
- Various Rags Joplin
- Morning has Broken
- Amazing Grace
- All Things Bright and Beautiful - Hymn
- The Lord is My Shepherd - Hymn
- I vow to thee my country
- Ceileto Lindo - Mexican Waltz
- La Paloma - Tango
- La Violetera - Bolero
- El Choclo - Tango
- La Cumparsita - Tango
- Bolero Ravel
- Jealousy Gade
- Castisto/Le Tango
- Norwegian Wood Beatles
- Yesterday Beatles
- Unchained Melody
- North Evergreen
- Love Changes Everything
- Theme from The Piano Nyman
- The Power of Love
- Planxty Irwin O'Carolan
- Carolan's Air
- Dunmore Lasses
- Drowsy Maggie Irish Medley